Tuesday, November 23, 2010

It’s Screen Rant’s 7th Birthday!

Vic Holtreman of Screen RantWow.

It’s hard to believe that Screen Rant has been online seven (7!!) years. I started this site back in November 2003 – and I had no idea what I was doing… I was just a movie and Sci Fi fan and with this whole internet thing that seemed to be up and coming, I thought it might be cool to set up one of those new websites called a “weblog.” I figured it might be fun to set up a place where I could talk about movies and TV, both the good and the bad, but I never thought anyone would read it outside a couple of friends of mine.

One of the very first posts on the site was Sandy Collora’s short fan film Batman: Dead End. There were articles about Battlestar Galactica, how annoying people who talked in movie theaters were and the odd movie review here and there.


Back then the site was VERY heavy on the “Rant” side of things and it was just me and a my friend Brian Rentschler venting a couple of times a week. Things puttered along for a while just for fun, but in summer 2008 I thought maybe Screen Rant could “be somebody.” Kofi Outlaw came on board as a part time writer (he’s now our senior editor) and then a few months later I noticed a very well-spoken commenter on the site who I thought might be a good writer. Turns out I was right, and his name is Rob Keyes (now also an editor).

As time went on we brought more and more writers on board – some have come and gone, but we continued to do our best to bring readers news about the sorts of movies we loved with a dose of opinion. It’s been a LOT of work along with some luck and I want to thank our intrepid crew for the great job they do day in and day out. Oh, and a year ago we branched out with what’s turning into one of the go-to video game news sites on the web: GameRant.com.

The site has been through a lot changes over the past seven years, and will continue to change as we grow and evolve. Since I’m sure none of you know what the site looked like when it was born, I thought you might get a kick out of this:

Click here for a clearer look at the original Screen Rant

We’ve come a long way, baby. :)

We have more changes coming very soon in an effort to make Screen Rant even better.

There have been some ups and downs but overall it’s been a great ride and has given me the chance to meet other really cool movie bloggers and industry people – and to connect with movie fans like yourselves.

If you’re a regular visitor I want to thank you for coming back again and again. If you’re a first time reader, kick off your shoes, relax, and have a look around… join in on the conversation and hang out. I consider a lot of you folks family, so again, thanks for sticking with us. And if you haven’t done so yet, don’t forget to join the Screen Rant Facebook page!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment